Monday, June 19, 2006

P is for Packing

Ok so I got a few emails asking for details on how things are progressing with the purchase of our new place so I thought I'd throw a post up to update everyone. Things have been coming along pretty well, there's really not been a single hiccup so far [which basically means I'm still bracing myself for something to go wrong - eternal pessimist, I know].

In a nutshell:

- we've changed the closing date to a week earlier [the difference in prices between moving mid-month as opposed to the month-end is ridiculous] so it means we'll be closing on 18th instead of the 25th.

- the sellers had the chimney swept by a certified WETT professional, so that's good, they've got that certificate, they've got the the property tax assessment notice and now we're just waiting on the warranty information for the roof.

- I've started packing, and packing, and labelling and shredding and packing again. I think I've got no less than about 20 boxes/totes all neatly packed and sitting in our foyer so far. Yet it seems like nothing much has been moved around the house, but it's been fun. It's going to be a struggle to get Kevin to part with all the crap/junk that he's managed to pack away and collect over the past decade or so here in Toronto but I refuse to bring any unnecessary junk to our new place - we just won't have the room to store it and I don't want car parts sitting around my house, I put up with it now but once we move, game over... so I'm basically bracing for a good fight. ;) And if he insists that a lot of it has to come, then the onus will be on him to store it in the garage, it's that simple, really. :)

- we got the letter from our lawyer, we just need to pin down an evening to go through it and provide him with everything that he needs - oh and we need to tell him we've changed the closing date.

- I've asked Leah [and Matt & Caty] for help with the choice of paint colours for our breakfast area/kitchen given that the family room is green. Now I'm wondering if I should repaint the family room as well. I'm very much a brown, cream, green kinda girl, preferring earthy colours for these two rooms. I guess I'm hesistant to use other colours because there's going to be such an abundance of blues in the basement and laundry room that I almost don't want it in any other common area - but we'll see as there's also the issue of the greenish/tealish carpet. Once we've moved and settled in, I'm going to have "LMC and Company" over to help me visualize just how things will look with the various options. :)

So that's where we're at folks. Packing is at the forefront of everything at this point but I'm TOTALLY looking forward to painting. ;)

3 Comments:

Blogger ghanima said...

Your comments section looks so lonely, Michelle!

I just wanted to drop a quick note to say that I think the neutrals will suit you guys very well. As an extra bonus, they're nearly impossible to screw up!

5:55 PM

 
Blogger Michelle Hopp said...

It's probably because no one loves me. Woe. :(

Heh. :)

It's probably more likely that people need a blogspot ID to post... so they wind up sending me emails asking me to update my blog, the lazy bastards!

Back to the paint though, don't give up on me yet, I want you to see the place and help me figure out where you think the complimentary colours [those were the blues and yellows, right? ]would look good.

The kitchen is annoying, the backsplash is white tile as well so it's not like I can paint that. But we'll take a look once we have you guys over... until then hopefully no one minds if I keep bitching about how much I hate the white kitchen. ;)

11:24 PM

 
Blogger ghanima said...

I never mind constructive bitching. :)

Sure, white is incredibly boring, but you can always spice things up with accessories. At least the tile isn't a pukey-pink or anything.

2:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home