Thursday, April 13, 2006

Happy Cross Buns Day! Oh, and I won a curtain! :)

It’s holy Thursday today, also known as “Cross Buns Day” in Guyana, and in keeping with tradition my mom made a batch of cross buns last night. Talking to her around 10:15pm she mentioned that they didn’t raise as well, but I’m probably going to sample them anyway ;)

On Tuesday, I organized a little Timmy’s break for our work group to distribute the presents for the birthday celebrants for the period Jan-Mar, it was our group’s first attempt at this and it worked out pretty well, I think. Fanyi, Rose and I tried our best to match the giftcards we picked up to the individual tastes and it showed as everyone seemed happy with their wittle presents.

By now you’re probably wondering what the hell I’m talking about in the above title regarding a curtain. Well I went to a FCP event today at work, they were running the sessions during my lunch hour so I signed up for it. I’m not sure how many people actually know this but I’m a home décor/decorating shows junkie. I can’t get enough HGTV it seems, so when I found out that Jim Connelly and Peter De Sousa from HGTV were making a stop at FCP I just knew I had to register to attend the session.
The theme was Asian, African, Moroccon and the Caribbean, perfect I thought, as I love earthy colours and also the rich colours inspired by Morocco. So after spending about 5 minutes trying to find the room where the session would be I finally get there and they’ve got a big audience, over 120 people I’d say.
The show gets underway and the demonstrations begin. They showed us how to turn a simple Ikea placemat into an African inspired work of art and how to paint a regular box to achieve an antique Moroccan finish, but the project I was most interested in was the transformation of a regular Ikea curtain into a work of art using tint, water, spray paint, a dollar store placemat and some embellishments, the colours they chose were blue and gold and it was stunning – everyone was oohing and awing over it - I made some notes intending to try this at some point. Imagine my surprise when a few minutes later they started giving away the door prizes, as it turns out I won the curtain, I was stoked. :)

As part of the package I will also have the opportunity to meet Debbie Travis next Thursday, ask her a question and receive a free, signed copy of her book. I was ecstatic, I was also feeling a bit lucky so I bought a lottery ticket [I usually don’t play] so here goes nothing. :)

Well that’s about it for now, this week has been moving along well but it can’t seem to end fast enough for me and I am SO looking forward to the long weekend that commences from tomorrow, especially because it means I’ll get to catch up on my sleep, the weekend however, does still promise to be very busy… with Gran planning on visiting us… should be fun!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home