Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Happy Birthday Canada

Kev & I decided to join the gang for the annual trip out to Hawestone for Canada Day this year, it looked to be a very promising day for fun and relaxation and I even brought Stef along to get him out of the house for a bit.

As expected we had a good time, I even braved the water and stayed in for a bit. The day was also insightful, I discovered that I’m probably the only girl in the group that loves very bright and colourful underwear [read: LaSenza’s summer collection addict] and that I've never stopped to consider whether any of the clothes I buy will actually look good with my skin colour. I’ll usually wear anything, as long as I’m comfortable and the style appeals to me. I mean, I think I look good in brown, but I’ve never stopped to think what colour might actually look hideous on me, this is something I’ll probably stop to ponder the next time I try stuff on, but back to the outing –sorry about the tangent - we headed over to Brewery Bay after, and I had the Chicken Parm meal and the famous Cookie Skillet [which I shared with Stef]. The cookie skillet didn’t disappoint, it was yummy. Matt’s parents joined us for a while and we left a while later, managing to make it back to the cars before the storm hit.

We got to my parents house around 8pm to drop Stef off and I got to take a peek at the work my dad has done so far on their bathroom, it’s coming along nicely, he’s finished the cupboards, changed the toilet and completed the walls except for a bit of trim. I think he plans to do the floor next.

Mom packed me up with some curried fish [she even saved me the mango seed :) - and lots of ochro] and we were off, I was pretty pooped and just wanted to be home, plus I’d started cramping really badly on the way home, I did the math in my head and realized I was going to have a visitor for a few days and she was probably showing up tonight. Great.

So anyway we arrive at home and Kev heads for the couch saying he’s not feeling well, I didn’t take him seriously because I figured it was probably because he’d spent the day in the sun and he was probably just fatigued. About 10 minutes later I realized that I was wrong, he started throwing up and that continued for the entire weekend. I got on the phone after the first bout and rang my parents asking them to bring me some Gravol – they brought Andrews, Gravol, Kaeopectate, and Gingerale. He took the Andrews and then promptly threw it up, gave him the Gravol, it stayed for about 4 hours then at 2:30am it came back up – I decided to call Telehealth Ontario at that point – diagnosis --> mild food poisoning or a stomach bug – stop all medications, let him hurl, one sip of water every five minutes.

Now I usually brace myself for the cramps and head to bed lying in the fetal position to deal with the pain, but I realized with Kev being sick I didn’t have that luxury tonight so I popped an Advil and went back to concentrating on him.

By Sunday night he was doing better, and he’d started having solids again, the vomiting had stopped and the fever was broken but the diarrhea didn’t check so I called Telehealth again, 24 hours having passed. They recommended that I introduce Gatorade and bananas, and brace ourselves for a spell of 4-7 days. Thankfully we’re both out at work today, he’s doing better but still uneasy... and I've made a mental note to buy a thermometer as I couldn't tell the nurse what his temp was, just that he had a fever.

I don’t think we’ll be going to the Ontario Science Centre tonight after all but they’ll be other opportunities. For now I’d just settle for one good night of sleep. :)

3 Comments:

Blogger ghanima said...

Hey, I'm all for completely impractical lingerie, I just would far rather spend my money on something lacy and corset-like than something brightly coloured. It's like putting a bow on a gift when you could be setting off fireworks instead, I figure. :)

I'm *so* sorry to hear that Kev got so sick. It doesn't look like anyone else who came out that day got whatever he got. What was it he ate, again?

I'm also sorry you didn't get the chance to fetal-up on the couch when you ought to have. Let Kev know he totally owes you.

11:11 AM

 
Blogger Michelle Hopp said...

*laugh*

I guess I view daily underwear and lingerie as two completely different things... I buy my underwear - It's colourful, comfortable and practical and I'm in it for 24 hours, lingerie I get from Kev and I'm in it all of 10 seconds. ;)

Seriously though, I'm definitely the odd one out because I really don't do beige/tan colours, however I do have blacks for anything bordering see-through, white if necessary and colours all other times, and I don't think I've noticed a difference in price when it comes to what colour underwear I buy, but it's probably because I don't pay close attention.

Ah, yes, Kev. Well he had the kitchen sink burger, so what else did he expect, really? :D

I figure it was probably a contaminated unwashed lettuce leaf or something else that wasn't cooked, but who knows.

And yeah, he owes me. I just haven't decided what exactly it is that he owes me as yet. Maybe a trip to Stratford. *laugh*

12:23 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Owe you? Hell, after that I should be grovelling at your feet. I think you might be a saint. *hugs*

Stratford eh?

10:26 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home