Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Are we there yet?

I think I got a lot done this weekend. This thread will basically serve as a checklist of what's been done and as a reminder of what I still need to do.

The kitchen cupboards & drawers have been cleared except for two plates, two cups, two glasses, two forks, two knives and one spoon [which will be packed on moving day]. All cupboards have been cleaned out except for Kamran's cupboard, the one under the sink and the one immediately to the left of the stove [if time permits I'm going to tackle these tonight]. I've been trying so hard to keep everything methodical and organized. Boxes containing stuff that we won't be using in the next two weeks are clearly marked, sealed and in the basement at this point, the other boxes sit open in the kitchen already packed but with items still at hands reach if we need them [this allowed me to clean out the cupboards without completely packing stuff away]. I will scrub the kitchen floor completely on the Sunday after the move, as again there's no point doing it before as people will be likely tracking in and out with their shoes - also, remember to replace the burner pads with new ones before we leave.

The washroom on the main floor [while pretty clean at this point] will not be given it's final scrub until after the move, I figure it's going to see a bit of action on the day of the move so in order to have it clean for when Mike takes possession, I'll clean it the Sunday after the move. I emptied the cupboards and packed it all away.

The dining room area, where our desks are. I've cleared out my desk, contents boxed, labelled and sealed. Computer speakers, steering wheels and the scanner have been dusted and boxed. I've wiped down the entire desk, my monitor, the CPU, the printer and the filing cabinet. The only thing left to do with my desk is for Kev disassemble it next Thursday/Friday, my monitor and CPU will likely be transported via car/van on moving day.
Kevin still has to work on his desk before disassembling it - box, label, seal, dust etc. - he also has to box/bag items currently lying on the floor including his hiking bag and tennis bag [are you reading this Kevin Hopp?]. Next Thursday night, after the desks have been taken apart I've got to roll up the chair mats and place them in the basement awaiting transport, also clear off the couch in the desk area and have it clutter free and ready for the movers.

The living room, coffee table to be cleared off and moved to the foyer/basement on Thursday night. Kevin to pack away all electronics and speakers.

The basement, on Thursday night ensure that all small misc. items are boxed or bagged, no loose pieces to be left lying around.

The bedroom, final load of laundry to be done on Friday night and packed away, this includes bed linens. Also pack away all clothes currently on shelves in the walk in closet. Clothes on hangers will be hung into the portable wardrobe that the movers are bringing. Kevin to take apart the bed on Friday night.

Master bathroom, all cupboards have been emptied and cleaned. On Thursday night pack away all toiletries into the box sitting in the area, label and seal it. Wipe off counter and clean sink, clean toilet, clean shower, sweep and mop floor. Kevin to re-attach the door.

And the one big item on Thursday night, vacuum. Then on Sunday after all the furniture has been moved, return and vacuum spots that weren't easily accessible before. Kevin to clean out the oven completely on Sunday.

Heh. There. The end result of 3 days of packing and dusting and organizing and we're still not done yet.

4 Comments:

Blogger ghanima said...

Ah, the joys of moving. If you're half as methodical as I am (and I suspect you're more), the stuff that has to be packed on moving day is probably driving you nuts, and you'd love to just throw it into a box and eat take-out and forgo using toiletries for the next few days, just to avoid the hassle of wondering if you've forgotten to pack anything. It's a good thing you've got a checklist going, 'though, and I'm especially impressed that the stuff you won't need for a while is already packed, labelled and sitting in your basement.

10:18 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good lord, woman... you're making my head hurt just reading that!

If there's one thing I truly dread in life, It's packing for a move. I've done it too many times in the past 10 years and once more is my limit! ;)

2:45 PM

 
Blogger Michelle Hopp said...

Heh. Busted. I'm TOTALLY going nuts seeing all the stuff that can't be packed until moving day, and if that wasn't bad enough I'm working this weekend and late evenings this week.

It'll get done though, I'm glad I wrote down what I've done and what I still have to get done, reviewing it, it seems I might've left too much to do on Thursday night.

Ruth, I'm sending you luck, approx 23 day closing you say? *LOL*

Congrats again on the place, super stoked for you guys. :D

Packing, sorting, purging, labelling, sealing, it all sucks, especially the purging part - Kev's very attached to um... EVERYTHING. *going nuts* - hope you have better luck with Dave.

3:09 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh... I think you should say you hope Dave has better luck with me *laugh* I'm hopelessly sentimental and I've had a few years since the flood to build up a collection again ;)

22 days 'til we get the keys....

8:41 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home