Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Holy Busy!

See? I knew there was a reason we had to have the housewarming on the 4th! I knew that work would wind up being totally insane and that I'd have no other available weekend in November to do it. Looking back, it seems the last day of my blog was the very next day after the HW... and then total silence.

Rest easy, I'm still alive... though just barely.

I think I - [I'd say "we" but Kev was at work for most of the day] - spent most of the 5th cleaning up after the party, having a party on two levels truly meant double the work but my legs needed the work out that the basement stairs provided, plus the fun we had the night before was really worth all the work anyway. :)

The following weekend was spent at work. From around 7:30am to 9pm each night, that included Remembrance Day [a bank holiday]... these incredibly long hours followed me into the new week, which led to a totally exhausting lil' ole me by the time the next Friday rolled around. Somewhere within that whirlwind of a week, I think it was Monday night, I went over to spend some time with Gran - I went straight from work and Kevin met me there - she was pretty happy to see us. Her birthday was the following day - she's now 70 years young. Every day that goes by I am thankful for her presence in my life, she's an awesome granny. Yeah, I know, enough with the mushiness. :)

Thankfully I didn't have to work this past weekend. I managed to sleep in [well by my standards anyway] a bit this weekend... I think I got up around 9am on Saturday and started working on having the house back to a normal state again. You wouldn't believe how much laundry can pile up over the course of two weeks! Kev worked on fixing the vacuum and succeeded, so that meant we can use the piece of crap for a while longer before having to replace it. Between doing laundry and tidying up the place, I managed to pull out the totes with Christmas decor looking for blue and silver decor to loan to my mom. This led to me measuring out and stringing up a few pieces of pine. Turns out that the piece of garland [lighted none the less] that I grabbed for a measley $10 at the garage sale will actually swag the length of the staircase so that put a smile on my face, what a steal that was! The plan is to set up the tree this weekend and finish decorating it, and Stef's coming over to help - I think it might be genetic but our entire family loves this sort of stuff, ever since I was little we'd make an entire day out of it so it'll be nice to work on the tree with Stef in tow.

On Saturday night we went over to Ruth & Dave's place for dinner and a few rounds of pool, based on my complete lack of sleep the previous two weeks I was super tired at an early hour but I still managed to sink a few balls. I made yet another self discovery that night, I think I had underated the extent of my cat allergy - see I had never really spent more than a couple hours or so around cats before so while I would notice my eyes would get red and itchy it tended to clear after an hour or so - however, I didn't get off so lucky on Saturday. I came home with red, itchy eyes, a rash on the left cheek, itchy throat and had a bit of difficulty breathing but alas, it all passed and I've been fine since.

Sunday came and went pretty quickly. I did some grocery shopping, and we even got a bit of our Christmas shopping out of the way, then we made a trip to Home Depot. We'd gotten a few gift cards at our housewarming and decided to pool it together and pick up a bar fridge. I bought a glue gun as well, I'd been meaning to grab one for a while for my crafts but never got around to it, it was $7 so I snapped it up. After the day we'd had I was pretty thankful my parents had invited us over for dinner, we ended up relaxing at their place for the rest of the evening before heading home to crash.

The plan for the rest of this week is to leave work at a normal time, finish up the scrapbook I made for Stef's 13th birthday, ensure I'm home for when the real estate agent drops by on Friday, buy what I need to make the homemade nachos this weekend *and* ensure I have an idea of how to make it work, then it's off to Ken and Liv's for the annual P-Christmas gathering on Saturday.

Sunday is "tree" day with Stef and Kev, Rene is also coming by and so are my folks. So that's my update, aren't you glad I didn't blog before? :)

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG, I'm SO sorry, Michelle! I didn't realize you were allergic, I thought you just didn't like the cats :( Eeek!

Incidentally, part of my adventures at Chapters on Sunday included one heck of a big cookbook (4500 recipes!!!)... including a recipe for nachos... 100% from scratch... even the tortillas ;)

12:06 PM

 
Blogger Michelle Hopp said...

Silly girl, it's totally not your fault, please don't apologize. Heck, even *I* didn't even know the extent of my allergy, I just figured I'd have red eyes for an hour or two and that would be about it. Heh. The rash and breathing bit was a tad surprising. *LOL*

Besides, it's cool, I finally got to experience first hand an allergic reaction. Before I would just stare in amazement at Kevin with his cinnamon allergy. :D

I went to bed, and by morning I was fine, no worries.

So, about that cookbook you bought. I doubt you're going to want to lug it to work, right? :)

12:42 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I might not want to lug it to work, but I'm sure I could transcribe the relevant recipes for you....

2:34 PM

 
Blogger Michelle Hopp said...

Please, pretty please. Does it look like a lot of work? I mean should I just bake the darn tortilla's? *laugh*

6:57 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Honestly? I didn't look at it in detail... but I'll tackle the transcription tonight and let you know :)

7:26 AM

 
Blogger Emma said...

Kev's allegic to cinnamon? How come he never complained about the Gingerbread I give him every year for Christmas? Hm, I'll have to come up with something special for him this year. I can believe I've been giving him a gift that makes him sick for years and he's never said anything.

7:21 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll gladly take his share. :) Christmas isn't Christmas without Emma's gingerbread. :p

I wasn't aware of his allergy to cinnamon either. Was this the result of the whole allergy\rash thing back when you guys were doing Atkins?

9:53 AM

 
Blogger Michelle Hopp said...

Yeah, back in the day when he was doing Atkins we were using just a dash of cinnamon in his pancakes at the time, and he'd start getting a bit itchy. We didn't know what it was at the time and tried to trace it, it came down to either the cinnamon or the vitamins he was on. We stopped both, he did a biopsy and it was inconclusive.

Then recently I made something with cinnamon again and he ate more than a few of it and started getting itchy again. I think he can have it in small quantities without effect, he's never had any issues eating your gingerbread cookies, Em. :)

10:47 AM

 
Blogger MiraFabulous said...

4500 recipies - that sounds awesome!!
Are they all crammed in though? I really prefer a 1 per page set-up, seems easier to follow.

Next time you feel that way, you just need to take an anti-histamine for somewhat immediate relief - I believe you can also take one prophalactically to prevent the symptoms if you know you're walking into an allergy environment.

10:48 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mir... yeah, it's not an ideal set-up (cross references galore and pretty small print)... so not great for 'during prep' reference, but great for research (then just copy the ones that look interesting/work into a notebook... I've got a notebook dedicated to my Christmas baking favourites!)

Oh... and yes, you can take an antihistemine to mitigate the impact if you know you're going into a situation where you'll be facing allergens. Dave's brother does it any time they're going somewhere with animals, as does another friend of mine (both are asthmatics with dander allergies, among other things).

2:55 PM

 
Blogger ghanima said...

I've "treated" my cat allergy the same way, then had the miserable experience of spending the following day feeling I came down with a severe respiratory illness.

I think I must have inhaled enough dander for it to still be in my lungs on Day 2, when I thought I wouldn't have to be on antihistamines any more. I don't bother taking them for pet allergies any more, and leave when the dander starts to aggravate me.

3:06 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home