Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Resurfacing

These past two weeks have been so crammed full of stuff [mostly work] that I feel I've been living under a rock.

A brief synopsis:

- My group at work which is already at full capacity with 13 members, is now operating with only 9, 2 of which are brand new... it's been a fun two weeks. I shouldn't complain too much though, today they took us to The Keg to thank us for all of our hard work. I ordered the Filet Mignon. I figured I deserved it. :)

- Fanyi's wedding is on Friday, which means Kev & I are both taking the afternoon off work to attend, from all indications it looks to be one hell of a party. I still haven't got her a wedding gift as yet, I'm thinking something from Canadian Tire's camping dept, but we'll see.

- Biscuits is doing well, some days he ignores us, others he's craving attention. He's still very messy but I think I've gotten used to it.

- I went on my first serious garage sale expedition on Saturday with Aaron and Kev. And by serious I mean I got there early. I scored a gift wrapping organization kit that I'd been wanting, two very rustic looking candles and a box of magnetic poetry for our fridge. No luck in the plant pots or garden tools dept but there's always next Saturday. :)

- Went on a Home Depot expedition on Sunday, and saved over $60 in the process using the new homeowner coupon I got in the mail. :)

- Dropped by Ruth and Dave's new place on Sunday after hitting Home Depot, they landed a lovely little nest egg and I think they're going to have many lovely moments and memories there. :)

- Went to visit Gran on Sunday after we left Ruth and Dave's place, she'd ask for our help hanging her bathroom curtain and a few ornaments that she wanted for the walls, we hung out for a bit and then brought her over to my folks for dinner, altogether a pleasant evening, as it usually is when I hang out with Gran. :)

- Helped Stefan with the write up for his birthday invitations, as I expected he loved the fact that they were saxaphone shaped - I still can't believe, however, that he turns 13 in a few weeks. *wistful sigh*

- We're having a Thanksgiving service for our new place on Saturday of this week, this only got decided yesterday, thankfully my uncle is a pastor [and is somewhat accomodating] so it looks like I might actually be able to pull it off even with short/late notice.
Ideally I wanted to do it on Thanksgiving weekend itself but with work being the way it is right now, I'm having a hard time trying to plan anything ahead of a few days. We've decided to keep it very intimate with family only attending, the housewarming will be sometime in November [very likely the 4th] and that will be for all of our friends and extended family - the 4th is still tentative, I have to see what my work schedule shapes up to be closer to the date.

- As a continuation from the above point, I've got to start thinking about what to serve for dinner after the TG service. Right now I'm drawing a blank. :)

That's about it from the last week or two. Gonna go check and respond to some emails now, hopefully things will settle down at work soon and I can get back to my usual routine.

5 Comments:

Blogger ghanima said...

Been up to a lot then. Who, or what, is "Biscuits"?

Also, feel free to bounce some TG dinner ideas off me. I don't know what your family's interested in eating, but mom does some staples that would probably go over really well. Also, I think I remember you saying you'd made a turkey in the past, am I right?

9:42 AM

 
Blogger Michelle Hopp said...

Biscuits is our hibiscus plant, he's only a plant, but he's quite the character. :)

*LOL* - Nope wasn't me, I've never attempted to make a turkey and [thankfully] I won't have to this time either, the fam's not big on it.

They are an odd bunch, their staples are greens and rice, traditional Guyanese meals... every... single... day... - so whenever I have them over I try to instill a bit of culture. I've done both Thai and different variations of seafood so far and they were pretty big hits.

I'm thinking this time though, and given that it will be for a larger group, I'll opt for a simple meal that will also be economical. ;)

I was thinking ceasar salad for starters, oven roasted leg quarters, combined with veggie stir fry and garlic mashed potatoes [as a side] with gravy - and maybe a fruit salad for dessert? I really feel like baking though, so I might whip up a baked dessert... plus nothing says family gathering like fresh baked oven goodies.

Thoughts? Feedback? :)

12:43 PM

 
Blogger ghanima said...

Everything you've suggested sounds really good. Dunno if you're interested, but you may want to try your hand at foisting a (traditional) pumpkin pie upon them. They smell (and I think, taste, but I know some don't like them) so good!

11:49 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! Oh! I can make muffins!!

9:26 AM

 
Blogger MiraFabulous said...

I've got a great recipie for Pumpkin Swirl Cheesecake, and another for Pumpkin Bread Pudding - if you want to stick with traditional pumpkin, but add a little twist.

Both are good options for a twist.

6:50 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home