Friday, September 08, 2006

As it turns out, I’m stressing out my Hibiscus! :(


Not sure how many of you know this but I think I might be addicted to www.craigslist.com specifically http://toronto.craigslist.org/sss/ [blogger's links aren't working tonight so please ensure you type the spelling of the “craigslist” correctly in the url, because you do NOT want to end up at www.craiglist.com especially if you’re surfing from work ;) ] – anyway, like I was saying I’m addicted to the buy and sell website, so a few weeks back I was surfing and came across a really great deal on a Hibiscus plant, someone was moving and couldn’t take it with them. Now I grew up having this plant in the backyard of our home in Guyana so I thought I’d rescue it and give it a new home here with us, for nostalgia sake at the very least.

Fast forward to today, we’ve now had it for about two weeks, it’s budding and the flowers are gorgeous, but over the past two days we've noticed that some of the leaves were yellowing, so Kev decided to look into it tonight for me.

Turns out that I’ve been stressing out the plant because I’ve been moving it around trying to give it as much sunshine as I can... you’re apparently not supposed to twist them any more than a 1/8 turn per week – and only if necessary!

I feel like such a dope! In Guyana it grew outside and thrived well, and of course no one ever twisted it because it got all the sunshine and warmth it needed to survive.

Ah well, now that I know better I’m done moving it. I hope I didn’t upset it too much, Tanya mentioned to me when she was down that she managed to kill hers in the space of two days!

Wish me luck that all goes well because I tend to get really attached to my plants. :(

If anyone cares, presently has or is planning on buying a hibiscus plant, here’s the link I found: http://hibiscus-sinensis.com/hibiscus/care.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home