Thursday, September 14, 2006

The weekend came and went by with a swoosh!

On Saturday it was pretty much GO, GO, GO - I woke up early, as is almost always the case - and attempted to make as little noise as possible allowing Kev to sleep in. Around 10:00am I decided to give George a call, Liv had mentioned that he would be back from vacation around the first week of September and that would be a good time to contact him about the office chairs. I was in luck, not only did he answer the phone but he said he'd be at the warehouse today up to 12noon and then he'd be gone for another month or so! As soon as I hung up I ran upstairs to shake Kev awake, and an hour later we were on the road heading out to get the chairs.
George, not only had decent office chairs that we got for free, but he also had, believe it or not, matching chairs in a colour that goes well with the carpets we have on our floors currently! [note: This is not necessarily a good thing but it does the trick for now]. I called dad and he came over with the van to help us get them home. Having skipped breakfast we ended up having lunch at my parents, together with Mr. Chan, who Kev and I hadn't seen since December 2001 so that was kinda neat - though we skipped out early as we needed to make a pit stop at both Home Depot and Costco [it's never really a pit stop when one goes to Costco but we came pretty close this time]. Kev then dropped me off at Gran's place to meet up with my parents and headed home to work on the car.

Shopping with Gran and my folks was fun, we got her groceries and then brought her over to Dollarama as she wanted to get a few items there, it took a while but we got it all done - I ended up returning home around 6:00pm, totally pooped. Kev had been washing the car while I was away so he was pretty tired too, and after the non stop GO, GO, GO that we'd had that day we decided to shower and just relax for the rest of the night. Unfortunately, we missed Matt's party in the process, but word on the street is that everyone had a blast regardless, and I sent him an email on his birthday with our apologies.

Sunday came and we headed out for Dim-Sum at the-place-formerly-known-as-Furama-House, they're under new management and I'm pretty sure Ken mentioned the new name at some point, I just can't remember it right now. It was a good time as always and Wotjek and Meghan both came out for the first time. We stuffed ourselves silly and then headed over to Ken & Liv's to play poker, as is usually the norm, for the rest of the day. Later in the evening Liv made a fantastic lasagna [from scratch] and after three games of $5 buy-ins each so $30 in total between us, we left with $32.50 - so up about $2.50 overall. Not bad for quite a few hours of fun. :)
Liv's mom was kind enough to bring me two oregano plants from her garden that day as well, for me to transplant, I've now got fresh basil and fresh oregano - and so I feel like quite the cook when I pluck the fresh pieces off the plants. Too cool :)

Monday through to today has been a bit interesting at home, in a nutshell Kev managed to break the shower in our master bath [though if you ask him he'll tell you that the tile was already coming out and he just helped it along] so we've been sharing the guest bathroom, which makes for an interesting morning when we're both getting ready and leaving for work at the same time, right now we're doing the one-person-wakes-15-min-earlier thing but essentially that just means we're both up earlier than we'd like. In the grand scheme of things though, this is trivial compared to the fact that we are going to be redoing our bathroom a lot earlier than we would have liked, so I'll stop complaining about the "little" things. :)

So yeah, bathroom reno, well more specifically, shower reno. Based on what our inspector said, it looks like we'll be taking out the existing tiles, replacing the waterproof dry wall with cement board and checking for any damage to the structural wood before retiling. We should ideally start on this as soon as time permits as while it may very well be a winter project, we'd still need to work outside to prep the materials etc. My biggest worry at this point is dealing with the possible rotting of structural wood, the drywall will be easy to rip out and replace but we need to ensure that we find and remove damaged pieces of wood/plastic etc. Did I mention that we're going to be attempting this by ourselves? Yeah, inspector guy confirmed our thoughts, he said we should be able to pull it off and save ourselves a few thousands in the process so that's the plan.

Looks like we're going to need to buy a Shop Vac, oh and a fire extinguisher, but that's a whole other post all by itself. ;)

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey now... you make it sound like I was tired out from just washing the car.

I was finishing up washing the car when you got home... but I only started washing it after I'd finished putting new bearings on both front struts. Sheesh! :)

6:48 AM

 
Blogger Michelle Hopp said...

You never mentioned the new bearings bit, and we all know how many hours you normally take to wash your car so I just assumed that's what you were doing for the entire afternoon. ;)

6:56 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

New bearings on both front struts?

Maybe I'm just a wuss but after washing and putting a couple layers of zaino on the car I'm usually pretty tired out.

10:39 AM

 
Blogger ghanima said...

I'm so jealous that you have an herb garden! I've been trying to sort out possible spots for one for the past two years!

Funny that your shower's going to need to be re-done; Caty and I both looked at the master bathroom when we were over and noted that it was the "sore thumb" in there (which is quite stunning, otherwise).

11:35 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'd been meaning to replace my bearing races for a while now with thicker ones. I finally got around to ordering them about a month or so ago and ordered new bearings at the same time.

Finally put them in last weekend. So now I've got two bearings with better races on each side. I've driven through a bunch of rain this week and haven't heard a peep out of them so I think I might be on to something. :)

9:48 PM

 
Blogger Michelle Hopp said...

LMAO - I wouldn't call it a garden per se, so don't be jealous. It's more like two herb plants currently sitting in my kitchen area.

I have to wait until we get around to ripping out the deck before I can actually have a garden.

9:33 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

heh. I ripped out a planter from the deck and there was a hole under it. I dug out most of the dirt but it's still pretty much full.

Last night something big came along and pooped in it.

Stupid animal!!

8:53 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mer? Fire extinguisher? You need to BUY a fire extinguisher? You mean you didn't already have one?

And I'm afraid to ask why this need has suddenly presented itself... I'm sure there's a really good story, though... I LIKE good stories ;)

Hope the bathroom reno goes smoothly and quickly for you... and before the weather gets too wintry.

2:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home