Monday, November 27, 2006

Snowflakes and Googols

Kev and I were sitting watching TV the other day as I studied the little snowflakes I'd bought.

Looking at them, all similar in shape, I wondered out loud about the rationale behind the common saying that no two snowflakes are alike. I understand why the presumption is made, but really who has gone around documenting this with certainty? No one.

Anyway, thinking back about our conversation I decided to look it up today on the net and came across this site. Take a look, the site and the reader's comments were quite amusing.

How can they be sure no two snowflakes are alike?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those hexagonal columns aren't really snowflakes though, are they? Aren't they just little ice bits? How is the "flake" defined? I'd like to suggest that until the structure branches out on one plane to form the familiar "flake" pattern, it is not yet a snowflake and simply a little piece of ice.

1:43 PM

 
Blogger Emma said...

Um, it's not pleasant for me to say this, but I agree with Kevin. There is a difference between snow flakes and snow crystals.

6:52 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home