Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Striving for a healthier lifestyle

Everywhere you turn, someone's talking about diet and exercise being an essential part of healthier living. I'll readily admit that I lack the motivation to drag myself to the gym. I'm way too pooped after work to even entertain the thought. I'll also readily admit that I refuse to not eat things that I crave. But something's gotta give, otherwise I know I will continue to lose the battle against weight gain.

So my compromise was portion control, walking a few more steps every day, and uping my water intake. To incorporate these three steps, and see how it goes, was the little deal I made with myself. Veggies, proteins and good fats have now become a staple for my lunches and dinners. I also now have breakfast at home in the mornings, and when it comes to snack foods, my rule is that it's okay to eat whatever I want, as long as I watched how much of it I was consuming.

I started this little experiment back on June 16th and have seen enough positive results to keep me going. According to the scale, I've lost about 17lbs in two months, most of which I'm sure was water weight, but it's helped in the motivation dept. And I'm doing it the healthy way, by still maintaining a balanced diet.

My goal is a return to a weight that I'm happy with by the holidays. That might be a bit lofty, but we'll have to wait and see.

For now though my clothes fit better, and that's reward enough to keep me plugging away at this. :)

3 Comments:

Blogger ghanima said...

I can't help but see the humour in the fact that we women-folk -- in true stereotypical fashion -- seem to make the conscious decision to live healthier when we approach 30.

In my case, I was finding that my muscles were seizing up on me far too frequently (and horribly painfully). The timing just worked out so that I was concerned about maintaining my reproductive health around this age, too.

I also find it remarkable that most of the men-folk are staying true to their stereotype of simply living with the extra aches and pains, neglecting responsibility for their well-being.

10:11 AM

 
Blogger MiraFabulous said...

17 lbs. in 2 months!!
Michelle that is awesome!!!

I also think it's awesome that you've managed to do it "sensibly" - speaking as someone who participated in a crash diet for over 1 year - I may have lost a lot of weight but it did wreak havoc on my health. And now sadly I weigh more that when I started that diet.

Just be careful around what your assumptions of "weight I'm comfortable at" means - make sure your goal is a realistic one.

1:25 PM

 
Blogger Michelle Hopp said...

I hear ya, Leah. Kevin's plan is "to get more exercise". I love him, but I think his plan is still in the "planning" stage :) When it came to my weight, I just got tired of looking at photos and seeing someone that I didn't recognize. I knew that something had to change.

Mir, I'm trying to be realistic, well as best I can. Ideally, I'd like to lose another 25-30lbs, but I'd be just as happy if I ended up losing only 15-20 more.

Afer the intial loss (which I think was all water anyway) it's a slow process, so we'll have to see how it goes.

Of course it doesn't help that I seem to have developed a popcorn addiction. :(

9:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home