Thursday, July 13, 2006

And breathe...

So yesterday, after I'd gone about as far as I possibly could with the big regulatory return I'd blogged about last week sometime, I gathered it all together and took it over to my co-worker who was supposed to be working alongside me on it, I told her I'd gone about as far as I can go solo, that I had made a list of questions I had and can we set a time to review them.

We sat down this morning to review the questions, then decided that since she hadn't looked at the project in the first place and mostly couldn't follow along it might be best for her to take a look at the financials on her own then once she's familiar we can proceed. The problem with all this isn't that I have been working on it alone so far, the problem isn't that this return is due at the end of the month, the problem isn't that the reviewer [our boss] will be on vacation on July 24th and 25th and that I'm on vacation July 27th - 31st, the problem isn't that my boss [like us] has never looked at this return before and so will likely need at least 3-4 days to review this return which puts us at giving it to him on July 18th the latest, the problem IS that if she hasn't looked at it yet, then she's likely going to need the next few days to get familiar which means that she won't even have the time to look at the questions/issues until the 17th, which means that we have a day to turn around any correspondence with external parties and complete the return for review - which won't happen because turn around time with these folks is about 5 days or so - some of them are in the US and Ireland AND most of them might even be off on summer holidays.

So today, I get to sit around and work on other none time sensitive stuff while she looks at what I've done so far. I've done my part, I've told her to let me know if she has any questions or if there's anything I can do to speed up the process, beyond that my hands are tied. Yet I'm still responsible for us meeting the deadline and my camping trip is probably going to get shelved if this continues.

Yes, I'm frustrated, and just needed to vent.


Current Mood: Very annoyed

2 Comments:

Blogger ghanima said...

Yikes. So you can't just dump the mess she made in her lap?

7:58 PM

 
Blogger Michelle Hopp said...

No, I can't, oh how I wish I could though.

The problem is that we're both responsible for this return, right to the very end.

I've taken the liberty of plucking a few grey hairs today, goes well with the whole I-feel-the-need-to-pull-my-hair-out bit. Ok, not quite the same, but probably the closest I am going to get. *sigh*

9:18 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home