Thursday, July 13, 2006

Those late phone calls

Last night I spent about two hours on the phone with someone that I love and care very much about. A good part of those two hours was spent with her in tears or near tears as she recounted the ups and downs in the relationship she is in. They've been married for over 20 years, have grown children and are both working normal jobs to make ends meet - in a nutshell life can be stressful. It seems some days are good days where they can talk without arguing, but these are rare as the other 80% of the year they argue, heated words are exchanged back and forth - sometimes things die down after words are exchanged but other times he completely loses it and starts to use his fingers to jab at her face or head - which leaves bruises. This unhappy, constantly arguing living situation has been going on for years, but the physical abuse is once or twice a year at most, despite that, she hasn't confided in anyone - afraid of what people will say, she hasn't filed a police report as she's afraid FOR him. He doesn't know she's having the conversation with me. She's fed up of always having to put up a front for everyone that doesn't know just how rocky their relationship is.

I was/still am very distraught after talking to her, I can't help unless she wants me to help, she doesn't want me to say anything to him - yet. Talking to Kev about it after I got off the phone I was trying to explain the dynamics of the relationship she's in. For the most part the entire family is confrontational in their tone of speech, just the manner in which they may ask each other for a banana is enough to start an argument because of the tone and choice of words, hence it's not hard to envision why things can escalate to the levels that they apparently have.

I just don't know what to do about it, I told her last night that I would like to talk to him to - first of all tell him not to do it - and secondly that if I ever hear or see evidence that he has, I'll report him to the cops. But she doesn't want me to say anything to him, yet. What's she waiting for? The next time that it happens? I know they've been married for so many years that she doesn't want to get the cops involved, she just wants him to stop doing it. Don't get me wrong, I don't think that she's faultless in all of it, obviously the exchange of words provoke this kind of behaviour and she's capable of being vicious with her words but at the end of the day it doesn't matter who says what from dawn until dusk, if yelling and screaming is the way you communicate that's fine [you may need counselling but it's not a crime] but when it comes to physical abuse you've just stepped over that line.

I just wish, for her sake, that I could just talk to him to make it stop but I still have to respect her need for me to keep this between us until she's ready to accept some help.


Current Mood: Concerned

4 Comments:

Blogger ghanima said...

I always said I'd draw the line at physical abuse. Scream at me, be a jerk, but DO NOT threaten me and UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES will I be physically harmed. I understand it's much easier to say than to do, but it sounds like your friend needs to realize that she has to state clearly that she will not accept that type of behaviour, and get the f*** out of the relationship, temporarily or permanently, if he continues, complications and all.

Even if this is the worst it gets, it's still intolerable for the rest of her life.

8:03 PM

 
Blogger Michelle Hopp said...

I pretty much said the same to her last night, he has to be told that it will not be tolerated and if it continues there will be repercussions.

I'm not planning on letting this one drop off the radar.

9:20 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does she have somewhere she can go for a few days on short/no notice? If she showed up on your doorstep, are you two in a position where you'd be willing/able to take her in for a few nights? Because I think that's what she needs to do... next time he crosses that line from verbal into physical, she needs to grab a bag and leave. And let him sit there and stew for a while wondering if he's screwed it up so badly that he's lost her or not.

It's not an easy step to take, though... and the fact that she's talking to anyone about it at all was probably a pretty huge step for her (why is it that so many women are so ashamed to admit that they're being abused? I have no idea personally, and I've been there... more than once). Obviously part of her knows this behaviour isn't cool... the question is, can he be woken up to it enough for the two of them to get some help? Because there's not a whole lot of point in ONE of them getting counselling if the relationship is going to continue... they both contribute to the behaviour actively or passively.

I hope they can both get the help they need. But from the side she's on, it's not nearly as black and white as people who've never been there often think.

*hug*

7:54 AM

 
Blogger Michelle Hopp said...

I've told her she can stay at us if she needs to get away for a few days, so she knows she has somewhere to stay if she wants to just leave for a few days.

I haven't had a chance to talk to her alone since our conversation that night though... so again on the surface everything is all peachy. I'm hoping to spend some time with her this week though so I guess I'll know for sure how things are once we have a chance to talk.

12:29 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home