Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Weigh-in #1 - one pound lighter.

I guess it's a good thing that I didn't set the bar too high, my goal for the first two weeks was one measely pound. Jumping on the scale this morning, it was mission accomplished! Whether that has anything to do with the fact that I've been sick these past few days I'm not sure, but either way I'll take it. :)

So as of today, 154 lbs. The next weigh in will be on January 28th, target weight for that weigh in is 153 lbs.

Things that I still need to work on include upping the water intake, still struggling with that. I'm also planning on eating out a lot less, in addition to reducing caloric intake this way, I also wouldn't mind putting even more cash towards my savings during these very uncertain times.

I'm thinking about picking up a pedometer, wonder how close I am to a target of 10K-15K steps per day, I'm guessing not very close... but maybe using a pedometer would give me an idea of where I am and help me try to add additional steps in, whenever possible.

There's also been some recent developments in my family's health history that concerns me. Decreased kidney functions as a result of high blood pressure and diabetes (even with medication and diet to control both of these and remarkable progress in keeping them under control the kidneys have been compromised) is a major one for me, and one that hit pretty close to home. If that doesn't kick start striving for a healthier lifestyle not sure what else would. Other problems, albeit somewhat less critical ones, that have raised their heads recently include acid reflux and gallstones. These can be controlled with diet and the stone that was found in a family member is a silent stone so at least all is well on that front.

What health changes are you making in 2009?

8 Comments:

Blogger Austin said...

Here's an idea for extra steps: don't take the elevator all the way to your cube, and go the rest of the way using the stairs.

2:41 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sadly, that's not an option for us. There's no access to the stairs except in emergencies. Otherwise, I'd be doing that too.

7:02 AM

 
Blogger Austin said...

Really? That's just wrong.

9:53 AM

 
Blogger Michelle Hopp said...

It was all part of our employer's master plan to not have Kevin come by my desk everytime he goes for coffee. He's one floor up and two spaces over from me. :D

12:41 PM

 
Blogger Austin said...

I don't buy it - Kevin could just drill a massive hole between floors. If you're lucky, he won't set the building on fire while doing it. :)

11:05 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand your want to put more money away if possible. That would be a concern and goal of mine as well. Good luck at trying to accomplish that!

As for no stairs - POOH! He (Austin) has the right idea. I try to use the stairs more often as well. :)

Good luck in trying to accomplish your weight goal! :)

10:03 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's no stair access in my office either. It would be so much faster to take the stairs between 18 & 21 (our 2 floors) most of the time... but sadly, tisn't an option. :(

We can't even get into the stairwell in the condo to go up. Only down...

9:36 AM

 
Blogger ghanima said...

I can't even list the number of places I've freelanced at which stairs weren't an option.

5:05 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home